Global Grad Show conference Innovating for Social Impact in Dubai draws together academics and NGOs to tackle the world’s most pressing problems
- The Innovating for Social Impact conference creates a unique opportunity for exchange between professors, graduates, humanitarians and development actors to tackle global problems
- The Global Grad Show, held in partnership with Investment Corporation of Dubai (ICD), is the world’s most diverse gathering of academics working on social impact innovation.
- The 2019 Global Grad Show conference, curated by Community Jameel, will take place on November 11 at Dubai Design District (d3) and is open to all.
Community Jameel, the global philanthropy, is curating Innovating for Social Impact, the 2019 Global Grad Show conference, a unique opportunity for exchange between professors, graduates, humanitarians and development actors, including Imperial College London, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the Royal College of Art, TU Delft, Dubai Future Foundation, the Abdulla Al Ghurair Foundation for Education, Mohammad bin Salman College, and AGi Architects.
The conference is a key element of the Global Grad Show, a program that showcases social impact innovation projects by graduates around the world. For its 5th edition, Global Grad Show will feature 150 projects from 100+ universities in 43 countries, addressing topics such as health, social care, disabilities, biodiversity, water pollution, farming, and sustainable cities amongst others. Held in partnership with Investment Corporation of Dubai (ICD), Global Grad Show is part of the Dubai Design Week, the region’s largest creative festival. The conference takes place on November 11 at Dubai Design District, building 7, 10.30am – 6.30pm.
Commenting on the conference, Fady Jameel, President, International, Community Jameel, said:
“The Global Grad Show conference will shed light on the learnings from existing initiatives that use technology, science and design to foster social impact and we are proud to collaborate with Dubai Design Week to curate this special event given our commitment to drive innovation for a better future. With Community Jameel’s activities bridging the worlds of design and development, we are delighted to be curating this year’s conference and bringing together a rich list of partners.”
The Innovating for Social Impact conference will produce a white paper that draws together key themes and conclusions from the meeting, and sets out the recommendations for academic institutions around the world.
Art Jameel founded the Jameel Arts Centre, Dubai, a year ago; located close to Dubai Design District, and the leading contemporary arts museum of Dubai, the museum’s current program includes a set of major exhibitions and commissions, with works by more than 45 artists. Art Jameel is also participating in Dubai Design Week with a special Art Jameel Shop pop-up store that features new items hand-picked exclusively, with many handmade by local and international practitioners.
The conference is free; all welcome. Register here.
Speakers of the conference include:
- Eleanor Watson, Curator, Global Grad Show
- Fady Jameel, President, International, Community Jameel
- Professor Naren Barfield, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Provost, Royal College of Art
- Brendan McGetrick , Creative Director, Dubai Future Foundation
- Dr Teresa Franqueira, Founder and Senior Researcher. ID+ DESIS Lab Research Group
- Ghassan Salameh, Guest Curator, Dubai Design Week
- Professor Ineke Hans, Professor, University of Arts Berlin
- Dr Stephen Green, Senior Teaching Fellow, Imperial College London
- Dr Jan Carel Diehl, Associate Professor, TU Delft
- Dr Haya Al Dajani, Professor of Entrepreneurship, Mohammad bin Salman College
- Sahar Qawasmi, Director, Sakiya Art | Science | Agriculture
- Lumumba Di-Aping, Chief negotiator, G77 – Copenhagen Summit
- Dr Katharina Hauck, Reader in Health Economics and Deputy Director of J-IDEA, Imperial College London
- George Richards, Director of Strategy, Community Jameel
- Ralph Weigmann, CEO, iF International Forum Design
- Nao Valentino, Director of Strategy, Abdulla Al Ghurair Foundation for Education
- Belinda Scott, VP and Head of Corporate Sustainability, FAB
- Dr Nasser Abulhasan, Principal and Founding Partner, AGi Architects
- Manuel Jimenez Garcia, Lecturer, UCL The Bartlett
- Nadia Christidi, writer-in-residence, Jameel Arts Centre and PhD Candidate at MIT
Driven by a commitment to creativity, entrepreneurship, innovation, and youth, Community Jameel works across six major fields of development: livelihoods, the arts, education, health, climate, and evidence. Community Jameel is active worldwide, by directly implementing programs and by collaborating with major international institutions and grassroots organizations.
Community Jameel was established in 2003 to continue the Jameel family’s tradition of supporting the community, a tradition started in the 1940s by the late Abdul Latif Jameel, founder of the Abdul Latif Jameel business, who throughout his life helped tens of thousands of disadvantaged people improve their lives.
The term “Community Jameel” refers broadly to several distinct, separate and independent legal entities. Community Jameel is not itself a corporate entity, association or conglomerate run by an overarching parent company but merely refers to a group of distinct and wholly independent separate legal entities that are collectively referred to as “Community Jameel”.
Global Grad Show
Global Grad Show is the world’s largest and most diverse gathering of universities and graduates working on social impact innovation. A not-for-profit initiative, the exhibition showcases graduate projects covering the fields of design, science, technology and engineering from over 100 universities worldwide. The world’s leading universities will show alongside universities from emerging countries, offering firsthand access to the next generation of graduates who are designing solutions to tackle today’s challenges.